Friday, March 5, 2010

Still here...but dying of laughter

I got this email from McCall's about the early summer 2010 preview and I couldn't resist sharing it with you.  The patterns are generally pretty basic.  There are a few that I might like for lazy summer days but generally the preview screamed "crazy" and a little...(looking for a polite way of saying this)..."not appropriate for a lady of good moral character." 

I've been looking for a way to wear my Runts candy bits on my shirt and now I've found it!!
McCall's 6068
M6068

For Halloween (I like to plan ahead), I'm going to be Jennifer Lopez circa P. Diddy.
McCall's 6075
M6075

Or I could just wear my bedsheets.
McCall's 6079
M6079

At any rate, I need to borrow someone's baby so I can dress them up in one of these.  Mind you, I'm not calling these "crazy."  I think they're hysterical!
McCall's 6105
M6105

Last, but not least, I will use up some neon paisley fabric I have to make DH a shirt like this.
McCall's 6086
M6086

I am concerned that he might enter this shirt into evidence at my competency hearing but I think the law is on my side!

McCall's is claiming that maxi dresses, cowl necks, and bejeweled apparel are in.  Maxi dress?  Depends on the look.  Cowl neck?  Almost always love these.  Bejeweled?  Only if I can use Runts candy.  They're too hard to eat so I might as well wear them.

I am considering upgrading my summer look from boring T-shirts and shorts to some easy summer dresses.  Might as well look cute while I sweat through another extremely humid Memphis summer. 

McCall's 6070
M6070

McCall's 6072
M6072

McCall's 6074
M6074

I do enjoy a nice cowl neck!
McCall's 6078
M6078

I'm not really a fan of tunics but this could be cozy lounging around the house.  DH would probably appreciate the upgrade from super baggy T-shirt.
McCall's 6080
M6080

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been sewing every spare minute I have so I can complete my outfit for Saturday night.  The sewing gods are not being kind or they just have a really sick sense of humor.  My pants lining just arrived yesterday and I still haven't received the lining for the jacket.  The New Look 6920 jacket "muslin" fits great and only needed some minor adjustments.  (I say "muslin" because I don't make muslins for any of my projects anymore.  I am teaching myself some Palmer & Pletsch techniques, like tissue-fitting the pattern pieces and then pin-fitting the fabric sections BEFORE sewing.  See Fit for Real People for some details.)  My first Kwik Sew pattern ever is also an easy fit.  The directions are weird though.  Nonfusible interfacing on the neck facings on a knit top???  I'm fusing some Pro-Sheer Elegance interfacing to the neck facings instead.  I feel the same way about sewing directions like most people feel about speed limits and stop signs....they are merely suggestions. 

The pants are not going well.  I wasted an entire evening pin-fitting McCall's 5710.  Disaster.  I cut the largest size out.  The front fit pretty well after adjusting the crotch depth and length.  The center back was 5 inches from my center back and the waistline was 4 inches lower than my back waistline.  Did they design these for women with absolutley NO hips and NO bootie?!  After messing around for over an hour just adjusting the back, I balled the pattern up and threw it away.  I'm moving on to Vogue 7881.  As I worked on that, I realized that I hadn't preshrunk my fabrics yet.  Great, another evening lost to washing and line drying some fabrics that will still need to be pressed. 

This brings me full circle to my New Year's sewing resolutions.  Sew smarter.  Preshrinking, gathering supplies, reading the pattern directions before cutting the fabric, etc.  I'm a work in progress, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org