Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shopping Happiness

Today I have showered myself with sewing goodies of all kinds from many places.  My 1930s fashion and sewing books arrived today.  All of these books are looking promising but my favorite so far is the book of illustrations only, Fashions of the Thirties.  They're copyright-free so here's a peek:

Double breasted coat

Tiered flounce evening jacket

If I could go back in time, learn some drafting and pattern-making, and buy this book last year...I would have made this for my wedding dress (minus the widow's peak hairdo).  How feminine and glamorous is this?!!

Flouncy cape

I also received my first Bemberg linings from Vogue Fabrics!  These are even better than the samples.  I can't wait to line some pants and jackets.  So very silky!  I also got some crappy tricot lining from them--yuck!  I must give a shout out to Lucy's Fabrics for sending me some yummy tricot lining samples.  The Whisper is like butter.  The Helenca is so much nicer than the tricot I just received from Vogue Fabrics and quite a bit cheaper.  Definitely ordering some of these.

I also hit Hancock's for the half off notions and $3.88 USD Vogue patterns sale.  Vogue 8633 still eludes me but I got all the other patterns I was lusting for.


Vogue 8635:  I'm loving View C.

V8635 front

Vogue 1169:  I think this is too pretty for work.  If I had time (and a smaller rear), I'd make this for DH's employer's banquet in a few weeks.

V1169 front

Vogue 1161:  Why hello, little black dress!

V1161 front

Vogue 1154:  I'm hoping one of my friends gets married this year so I have an occasion to wear this (not in white).

V1154 front

Vogue 1158:  Just because.  Next to Badgley Mischka, Tracy Reese is my 2nd favorite Vogue designer patterns.

V1158 front

I also purchased my first New Look pattern in years.  I've been debating what I could throw together for this banquet in 2 weeks.  I need to "look the part" for this event and not wear my usual mismatched, last minute outfit.  I was debating on making one of these dresses from materials already in my stash:

Purple poly/rayon jersey in Butterick 5243 (view B)

Butterick 5243 knit dress front image

Royal blue crepe in Butterick 5350 (view B)

Butterick 5350 dresses front image

Purple pique in Simplicity 2648 (view with cap sleeves and V-neck)

Simplicity 2648 front image

Problem is I would be more comfortable in pants and a jacket.  And then this little gem jumped out at me at Hancock's.

New Look 6920

NL 6920 front

I have a Vera Wang Lavendar brocade from Fabric.com that was disappointing when I pulled it out of the box.  The flower pattern is huge and screams "upholstery!"  The wrong side, however, is gold with lavendar hues and a much smaller pattern.  Gold, really?  Yup.  When I saw this pattern, I knew what I had to do.  Even DH agrees this will look sharp.

Vera Wang Lavendar brocade right side
Vera Wang Lavendar brocade wrong side

I have some black/grey wool suiting-like fabric for the pants and I have 2 different shades of purple poly/rayon jersey for a quick tank.  I can do this...quickly.  I think I can, I think I can....  I may need a back-up plan.

1 comment:

  1. Nice fashion pics from the 30's. I like your pattern choices too.

    ReplyDelete

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org