Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I was right the first time...the sewing gods are cruel

My jacket lining showed up on Friday.  Gee, THANKS!  That's plenty of time to finish my jacket for Saturday.  So I had to go shopping Friday night.  That was awful.  I haven't bought pants in quite some time but I did discover that a size 1 or 2 petite in Lane Bryant bottoms fits me decently.  Since I really needed pants, I headed to Lane Bryant.  What a mess that store was and nothing in my size either.  To make matters worse, I purchased a cheaply made jacket for $89!!  The jacket fit me perfectly.  I didn't bother to check the price tag until I got to the register.  I was so desperate to get out of there, I would've paid anything.  Maybe that was their strategy....  Anyway, $150 later I had a complete outfit for Saturday.  I will be wearing it again this Saturday as I head to yet another of DH's banquets.  Socializing with strangers is exhausting.  I'd say he owes me one but he is paying for my sewing class this summer, Susan Khalje's week-long Couture Sewing!!!  I don't have any real complicated projects to work on so I'm sewing a reproduction gown for a co-worker.  This dress has it all...polonaise, bustle, boning, leg of mutton sleeves, full skirt, lace, a million buttons...you get the idea.  I should get my money's worth out of this class and practice fitting a body other than my own! 

But I digress...this rant started with the sewing gods punishing me for not planning ahead.  Let's backtrack and see where I went wrong.
  1. Did not have all materials on hand before beginning project (linings and thread)
  2. Did not preshrink all fabrics and notions beforehand (I didn't preshrink ANYTHING!)
  3. Sewing with a fabric or pattern that I hated (Vera Wang Lavendar collection brocade--hideous)
  4. Didn't give myself enough time to finish the projects (10 days for lined jacket and pants with knit top?!)
  5. Didn't stick to my New Year's sewing resolutions:  sew 1+ hours per day, work on Singer sewing techniques every week, etc. ('nuff said)
Did I leave anything out?  Basically, I was doomed to begin with.  It's time to regroup.  I have lots of wardrobe needs and lots of possible projects but very little time.  I also have a new machine, new presser feet and various other gadgets that I'm trying to become comfortable with.  I think the best plan for me is to work on groups of similar projects at the same time, regardless of the wardrobe or outfit.  I plan wardrobes but it is easier to sew a bunch of similar items at once.  With this in mind, I have already ironed pattern pieces for several knit tops, dress pants, and pajamas.  First up, probably the pajamas.  They're easy to make.  I'm already comfortable with elastic waistbands (which I need to post).  I've got the fit worked out...and fabrics preshrunk--there's a shocker!  (Yes, there is fit involved with pajama pants.  I don't like when my bootie pulls the back of the pants down when I sit.)  I think next up will be the knit tops.  I have very little sewing experience with knits so I still don't know which needles are best for which fabrics or how and where to stabilize the knits.  As much as I need pants, they will have to wait.  I'm still having a lot of fit issues with them.  I need to make a bunch of garments really well first before setting myself up for possible failures again.  Failures..bring...me....down.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org