Sunday, February 14, 2010

What is your favorite decade for fashion?

Don't get me wrong.  I'm pretty happy with today's fashions, particularly for sewing.  I've been toying with sewing some vintage fashions lately but I can't see myself wearing them.  I've bought several of the Butterick and Vogue reproduction vintage sewing patterns lately.

B6240 front image

B5214 front image

B4919 front image

Vogue 1044 dresses front image

I just don't know when and where I would wear these.  I'm guessing I'll just have to make them and find excuses to wear them.  What I've noticed about several of the reproduction patterns available in stores right now is they include full skirts mostly.  If you're 64 inches tall with a VERY large rear, bulk on the bottom half is not a good idea.

I stumbled onto a vintage sewing pattern website today and realized I'm not even a huge fan of the 1940's and 1950's.  I love the 1930's!  From my brief internet "research," the fashion of the 1930s was impacted by the Great Depression and resulted in more conservative, womanly clothes.  Shoulders were emphasized, rayon became a popular fabric and the zipper was introduced.  Skirts were longer and more A-line and waistlines were returned to a more natural position.  Gloves were worn with evening and daywear.  (In today's germophobe society, those gloves would be a great idea!)  Bias cut was all the rage and Madeleine Vionnet was its master.

Madeleine Vionnet 1938 black

(Source:  www.metmuseum.org)

I found much within the 1930s that I would wear day-to-day.

1933 blouse

1938 blouse

1936 evening

simplicitybeltdress

1930s tea frocks

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?  Exactly!  Time to find some books about 1930s fashion and pattern making.  Glad we're on the same page.

I ordered these today:

Pattern Making Drafting 1930s Lingerie Blouses Skirts & Sportswear Fashions

Pattern Making Drafting 1930s Lingerie Blouses Skirts & Sportswear Fashions

Fashions of the Thirties 476 Authentic Copyright Free Illustrations

Fashions of the Thirties 476 Authentic Copyright Free Illustrations

Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalogs Mid 1930s

Dress Cutting Instructions & Illustrations for Sewing 26 Vintage 1930s Fashions

(Source: amazon.com)

I wonder though...how glamorous do these fashions really look without the hat and gloves?  Purse and shoes, no problem but I don't wear hats and gloves are for winter only. 

What is your favorite decade for fashion?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org