Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How many types of sewing machine needles are there???

I used to buy the Dritz Universal needles and use them for sewing any type of fabric.  But that was before I discovered my love of silks and knits.  Then I bought Dritz ballpoint needles.  Great for knits but I was still looking for something more appropriate for my silks.  Then I bought Schmetz Microtex.  Perfect!  But why are they so much more expensive than Dritz?  Now I found Organ and Klasse needles online.  And now I'm confused. 

I understand that certain fabrics need certain types of needles.  You should also buy needles based on the weight of the fabric.  Got that too but what's with all the different brands of needles?  Is any one really better than the other?  I have Singer sewing machines.  I know I don't need to buy the Singer branded needles but I don't know that the Schmetz I've been buying are any better than the Dritz.  The Schmetz packaging is certainly nicer than the Dritz and more expensive...so they are better, right?  Ugh....

I've searched high and low and it seems like it's a matter of what will work on your machine and what you like better.  There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus except that Organ is cheaper with good quality, Schmetz is more expensive but easier to find, and everything else is a toss up.  For instance, I still have a few Singer branded needles that came with my CG-590.  The "denim" needle supplied with the machine works well and fits perfectly.  The Schmetz "denim" needle won't even fit into the needle clamp...but it fits my Singer Esteem just fine and works great.  So I guess you are just S.O.L. if you buy a needle that should fit and doesn't. 

If anyone wants to sound off on this, please do because I'm lost.  In the meantime, I guess I'll stick to my plan to buy Schmetz when they are 50% off at Hancock's and JoAnn's or buy Organ/Schmetz in bulk online.  Why not buy the Dritz?  The packaging just isn't as pretty.  Weird, I know.

During my internet search, I did find several good references about sewing machine needles and even some good sources for bulk supplies.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org