Friday, January 21, 2011

Threads Magazine is publishing a sewing book

You had to know this was coming...Threads editors are publishing a comprehensive sewing book.  It isn't just clippings from the past 20 years of Threads magazine either.  I was doubtful this book would be worth purchasing since a) I have so many books, and b) every comprehensive sewing book out there claims to have everything in it and they never do.  First off, this book already appears to have some nice diagrams and explanations of concepts that other books usually gloss over.  At this point in my sewing, I don't need those details because I've already figured it out but they would have been helpful 5 years ago.

There is a nice preview (meaning you can look at tons of the pages instead of just 5 pages) on the Taunton website.  After skimming the preview, I am intrigued but the section on threads is basic and inadequate as in most books.  The zippers chapter is much better than others; lots of photos of each type of zipper and an actual comparison of metal vs plastic vs coil teeth.  I've only seen one other author cover that in a book (Making Trousers for Men & Women by David Page Coffin).  There is an interesting section that describes measuring yourself to estimate how much yardage you need for a particular garment; nice idea for those that work without patterns or have no specific pattern in mind for a must-have fabric.

One gripe...all skinny, young models.  Where are all the REAL women?  If you need a model with wide hips, a large, round booty, and a stomach pooch, call me.  I'll show my crazy curves in exchange for a free copy of the book (and a lifetime subscription to Threads).

For more details on the book, check the Taunton website.  I'm on the fence about this one.  I'd like to see it in a bookstore first.  You know, sit down and basically skim every page in the book before I commit to buying it.  So as you are walking through Barnes & Noble, please don't trip on me.  I'll be the lumpy, curvy chick sitting on the floor because all the skinny, coffee drinkers took the chairs.

Threads Sewing Guide, available April 4, 2011
  • Dimensions 9 3/16 x 10 7/8
  • Pages 392
  • Photos 1010
  • Drawings 229

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org