Sunday, December 19, 2010

1994 graduation

That's me in 1994 at my high school graduation. It's not a great photo but it is a special photo. My high school graduating class was 600+. The ceremony was at a very large pavilion. I don't know how my father did it but he figured out which entrance the graduates would be entering from. He made his way through the huge crowd and secured a prime spot on the bleachers overlooking the graduate entrance. When I walked through the door following behind 500 other students, I immediately began looking for my family. I was overwhelmed by the huge crowd. I just happened to look up and see my father scanning the graduate processional looking for me. I yelled, "Dad!" Out of all the fathers standing on those bleachers looking for their son or daughter, only my father responded to the call for "dad." He snapped this photo. I later asked him how he heard me over all the noise. He said, "I know my little girl's voice." And now I'm tearing up all over again.  My dad is awesome.

I graduated again for the 5th time on Saturday, December 18, 2010.  This was a special one for me because I'm never attending college again.  I know people say "never say never" but I'm saying it.  I'm tired and still in debt with student loans.  I'm NEVER attending college again.  I didn't go to this graduation because I'm tired of college.  I have 4 college degrees.  My public service announcement for today is choose your college degree program wisely.  Future employment opportunities are very important to consider, especially since lenders insist on being paid back, whether you find a good job or not.

The 2nd most positive thing about finishing my 4th degree (besides always being "in demand in the industry") is now I can spend all my free time sewing.  I haven't sewn a single stitch since August!  I was so in withdrawal over not having time to sew, I bought sewing books instead.  I've acquired several out-of-print books, like Susan Khalje's Sewing with Knits.  I also was lucky enough to locate the entire Singer Sewing Reference Library from one seller on eBay.  That series is gold, by the way.  Buy them if you can find them.  The pictures may be out-of-date but the information is still very good and tons of ideas to get the creative juices flowing.

Looking forward to sharing some actual sewing progress with you in the future.  In the meantime, best wishes for a happy holiday with your dearest family and friends. 

Merry sleepy christmas!
(Flickr: Dr. Hemmert)
Be safe this holiday season.  Borrow someone else's photo of their dressed up cat so you don't have to visit the emergency room yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org