Friday, April 9, 2010

Updates

Not getting any sewing done this week. I had my surgery yesterday. Between the drugs and not being able to eat, I don't have much energy. I did get a few things resolved however. I got my refunds from SmartFlix and Denver Fabrics. I worked on fitting the cover for my Uniquely You dressform last weekend but it didn't go well. The boobs on the cover are weird. There are two parallel horizontal long darts from one bust point to the other. When I fit the bust to my own, I end up with pointy boobs because of the extra seams from the horizontal darts. The cover also does not come close to covering my hips. I estimate the sizing on the cover is smaller than stated by 2 inches in the hips. I didn't check the bust or waist as those were plenty big for me. It's funny but I could almost get away with not fitting a cover to the dress form. The bust and waist on the dressform are both 1 inch larger than me. The hips are 2 inches too small. I haven't checked to see where the bust falls in relation to my own. I figure a little bit of padding on the hips and a tight bra would just about fix the form.

Uniquely You dressform front

Uniquely You dressform side

I've decided to follow the lead of others that have bought this form. Some reviews I found on PatternReview indicated that they used an electric knife to trim down the form. Others salvaged the zipper from the cover that came with the form and then made their own cover. I'm not going to cut into my form but I will make my own cover. A fitted dress shell is all you need. It will be easier to start from scratch than to fit the cover that came with it. The inseams on the cover all face the inside so when you pin, you are pinching from the right side and then have to transfer the markings. This is not how I sew because I always make mistakes when I alter that way. I ended up with pointy boobs that were flattened above the bust point and a bit too tight below the bust point. The back panels ended up giving me a "shelf" butt. The front princess seams ended up wonky as well. Not to mention that the hip area was not wide enough to cover me to begin with. DH was a good sport though. I hope he's up for fitting me again this weekend....

I'm going to spend the rest of the day mimicking my cat.

IMG_1063

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org