Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Two weeks! Two weeks!

Where are all my "Money Pit" fans?!!

I read somewhere that people either saw "The Money Pit" and loved it or they never saw it at all. In other words, no one who has seen this movie can hate it.  I tend to agree.



As you can gather from the trailer, this movie is centered around the renovation of a house that should have been condemned. My favorite quote from the movie is...

[Walter has missed a meeting with the permit man, who got steamed and left]
Curly: If he ever does come back, you call me and we'll finish the job.
Walter: When I do get the permits, how long will the job take?
Curly: Two weeks.
Walter: Two weeks? Two weeks?
Curly: You sound like a parakeet there. "Two weeks! Two weeks!"
Walter: Well, two weeks. It- it's amazing.
Curly: Amazing nothing. It'll be a regular miracle.
(from IMDB)

Throughout the rest of the movie when something else breaks on the house, Tom Hanks' character (Walter) has to call yet another contractor who promises to be done with the work in two weeks.


This isn't a post about one of my favorite movies. This is a warning about future posts about...THE DRESS.

Last year I discovered Susan Khalje's book, Bridal Couture, while making my wedding dress. I then discovered her couture sewing workshops. Having no time or money, I couldn't attend one of these workshops to get some much needed help with sewing my dress. I did alright with my limited sewing knowledge and skills but I still wanted to learn some fine dressmaking skills. DH initially protested about the $995 USD price tag but quickly changed his tune. "It'll make you happy to go to this class and you deserve this for yourself." (I know, he's a keeper.)

With such a significant upfront investment, choosing a worthy project to learn couture sewing techniques was absolutely necessary.  One of my co-workers participates in western reenactments.  She showed me a polonaise dress pattern that she wanted to make.  This dress is perfect for my class project!  It just about has it all...boning, tons of buttons, pleating, bustle, lace and ribbon details, and petticoat.

Pattern front
(further information here)

So what does the dress have to do with The Money Pit?

I know there's no way I can finish this dress in a month or two.  It's going to be a ton of work and I don't have tons of time.  I already told my co-worker that there was no way I could have it done by the end of the summer.  So when will it be done?  Two weeks.  And when she asks about the dress two weeks later, it'll be two more weeks.  Two weeks, two weeks, two weeks.....

Thankfully she's in no hurry to get the dress done...because I'm going to need another two weeks.  Anyway, you've been warned that there will be tons of posts in the future about the progress (or lack of progress) on THE DRESS.

Enjoy a classic Money Pit clip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org