Sunday, November 29, 2009

2010 New Year's Resolutions: Sewing Know-How

I just finished reviewing Singer's Complete Photo Guide to Sewing. Looking through this book again reminded me what a great resource it is...and how much I don't know. One of my resolutions for 2010 is to increase my sewing knowledge and comfort with various techniques. I'm making a list of all the apparel sewing techniques included in the Singer book. My goal is to try each of them at least once before December 31, 2010. I may have to try a few projects that I wouldn't normally have attempted in order to accomplish this but I think this will be fun. I'm keeping The List in the right-hand column with each technique numbered. Whenever I complete one of these techniques, I'll do my best to take sequential photos and post them.

I am skipping all the home decorating and serger techniques. I only own a conventional machine with just the basic stitches. I also don't need to do any decorating at the moment; that's the beauty of wedding gifts!

Is the list everything I don't know? Of course not. Actually, there are quite a few things on the list I've done many times before...just not done well. The point is to take the time to learn better technique so I will be proud of my garments...and not shudder when I see a picture of me wearing a beautiful teal shantung dress with "ski-slope boobs." Don't ask. It was bad.

The List
  1. Layout for even and uneven plaids
  2. Make self-fabric bias strips
  3. Encased seam: self-bound
  4. Encased seam: French
  5. Encased seam: mock French
  6. Encased seam: flat-fell
  7. Encased seam: mock flat-fell
  8. Stretch/taped seams
  9. Bound seam: bias
  10. Bound seam: tricot
  11. Bound seam: Hong Kong
  12. Darts
  13. Basic gathers
  14. Gathering with elastic
  15. Sewing elastic in a casing (waistline seam)
  16. Set-in sleeves
  17. Sewing sleeves: flat-method
  18. Continuous bound placket
  19. Shirt-style placket
  20. Attaching a cuff
  21. Pointed collar with nonfusible interfacing
  22. Round collar with fusible interfacing
  23. Convertible collar
  24. Shirt collar with a stand
  25. Waistbands
  26. Hems: topstitched
  27. Hems: twin-needle stitched
  28. Hems: bound
  29. Hems: machine blindstitched
  30. Curved hems
  31. Narrow hems
  32. Bias neckline facing
  33. Patch pocket with square corners
  34. Patch pocket with rounded corners
  35. Self-lined patch pocket
  36. Lined patch pocket
  37. In-seam pocket
  38. Slanted pocket
  39. Welt pocket
  40. Thread eyes
  41. Buttonholes
  42. Snaps
  43. Lapped zipper
  44. Centered zipper
  45. Fly-front zipper
  46. Covered separating zipper
  47. Exposed separating zipper
  48. Invisible zipper
  49. Interfacing jacket front & facing
  50. Shaping jacket lapels
  51. Interfacing jacket back
  52. Interfacing jacket hem
  53. Shaping jacket undercollar
  54. Interfacing jacket sleeves
  55. Notched collar
  56. Topstitching a tailored collar
  57. Custom shoulder pads
  58. Sleeve heads
  59. Tailored jacket hem
  60. Jacket vent
  61. Lining a jacket
  62. Lining bottoms with darts
  63. Lining bottoms with pleats
  64. Elasticized waistbands
  65. Cut-on waistband with casing
  66. Cut-on waistband topstitched
  67. Smooth elastic waistband
  68. Shirred elastic waistband
  69. Ribbed neckline: flat
  70. Ribbed neckline: in-the-round
  71. Ribbed neckline: V-neck
  72. Adjusting pattern for swimsuit
  73. Activewear elasticized edges

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org