Friday, October 23, 2009

Restoring Finish on Polished Cotton...part 3

Thought I had thrown in the towel on my polished stretch poplins, didn't you?

I did too until I found myself staring at my hubby's shirt last night. He gets his shirts washed and starched at the dry cleaners. I never noticed before but the finish, that polished look, is exactly what I was trying to accomplish on my fabric. I think I ruled starch out because I hate spraying and ironing my clothes. Maybe a liquid starch added to the wash is what I really need. I could fix the finish on my stretch poplins (and finally get on with the project) AND I could stop spraying starch on my clothes. I hate how the spray gets on EVERYTHING (ironing board cover, carpet, the cats, me, etc.).

But I've never seen liquid starch in the stores....

Make my own, of course!

Thrifty Fun recipe for liquid starch
In a large bowl or pot, stir 1/2 cup of corn starch into 1 cup of cold water. Stir in boiling water (2 quarts for a heavy solution; 4 quarts for medium and 6 quarts for a light solution). Dip the clothing into the starch solution and let dry. To iron, sprinkle the garments lightly with warm water, roll up and place in a plastic bag until evenly moistened, then iron as usual.

Vicki Welsh recipe for liquid starch

1. Put 1 1/2 cups of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

2. While waiting for the water to boil, dissolve 2 - 3 teaspoons of cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of cold water in a cup or small bowl. Keep mixing the cornstarch while waiting for the water to boil.

3. After the water boils, pour the cornstarch mixture into the boiling water and stir for a minute or so. The liquid will be clear or slightly cloudy.

4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.

5. Transfer the starch mixture to a spray bottle and starch away! Throw it out after a couple of days.


I will let you know how the liquid starch turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org