Friday, September 18, 2009

Organize Your Pattern Stash

Reading through the SewStylish Blog today, I ran across this post from a reader about their idea to organize their patterns. I'm happy that another sewer out there is as crazy as I am. I've scanning my pattern envelopes front and back for the past 2 months. I was so tired of seeing a great fabric in the store and wishing I had my pattern envelope with me for a particular style. Many of my patterns are now out-of-print so I can't even look them up in the store anymore. I decided to invest some serious time reorganizing them. I still have a ton of Vogue patterns to scan but my project is almost complete.

To keep my patterns handy:
  • I scanned the front and back of each envelope and logged each pattern into an Excel spreadsheet as I scanned them. My spreadsheet contains company, pattern #, size(s) of the pattern, brief description, and category (tops, pants, etc.).
  • I stored the scanned images in folders on my computer by company (Vogue, Butterick, etc.).
  • I printed each scanned image and inserted them into a sheet protector and then into a binder. You could just put the envelope original into the sheet protector but I wanted to keep all the pieces together for storage in my sewing room.
  • I organize the pages of the binder by company and then numerical order.
  • I have 2 printed copies of my Excel spreadsheet in the front of my binder: (1) organized in numerical order by company, and (2) organized by category (so I can quickly find a tops pattern when I'm shopping).

This system has worked for me as the binder has a shoulder strap so my hands are free while I shop. I also place swatches of fabric with each pattern when I plan a project. This helps me match up thread and notions in the store quickly.

Pictures of my "shopping" binder:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org