Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Wedding Dress: Materials and Construction

Late post:
I can remember looking at wedding dress patterns since I was a teenager. I wasn't imagining my dream wedding, just the dress. I love evening gowns. They make you feel like the most beautiful woman in the room when you wear them. It has always been my goal to make my wedding gown if I were to marry one day. That day is quickly aproaching, 25 days and counting. I have picked a dress I never thought would suit me. I always preferred close-fit styles. Funny how being overweight changes your tastes in clothing. I opted for maximum comfort on my wedding day. A big skirt to hide my large rear and belly, and cotton for breathability. I do love my dress but I would do it all differently if I had the time. As it is, the dress isn't even finished.



Here's the dress (short-sleeved version):








I chose a high quality cotton broadcloth to line the upper bodice for breathability. The cotton will feel nicer against my skin than polyester lining. I do, however, have polyester lining for the skirt lining; a decision I regret. The skirt is made of a polyester satin taffeta. I love the look of the material but would have preferred silk. The lace outer layer of the bodice is made of an embroidered lace. This is actually my first experience working with lace. I don't know if all embroidered laces have this problem but the more you handle them, the tiny piping used to embroider the main patterns comes loose and/or unravels. I spent an hour just tacking down all the ends of the embroidery on the bodice. The hand stitching doesn't have to be perfect since all the white threads blend well.

Full retail price of materials I purchased for this gown: $400.00 USD



  • Satin Taffeta for skirt, 60" wide, $15/yd x 8 yds

  • Embroidered lace for bodice, 60" wide, $80/yd x 2 yds

  • Poly lining for skirt, 60" wide, $5/yd x 8 yds

  • Broadcloth for bodice lining, 45" wide, $6/yd x 4 yds

  • White satin covered bridal buttons, $4.75/dozen

  • Bridal button loops, $2.25/yd

  • Horsehair braid, 1" wide, $2.50/yd

I am away from home so I don't have an exact picture of the lace but this one is pretty close:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Just my opinion....

This policy is valid from 11 December 2009
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.
The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.
The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org